Thursday, April 05, 2007

Eddie Robinson 1919 - 2007


Photo: Doug Williams and Eddie Robinson, www.si.com found here.
The great football coach of Grambling State University passed this week. Eddie Robinson won 408 games as coach of the Grambling Tigers.


"People talk about the record I've compiled at Grambling, but the real record is the fact that for over 50 years, I've had one job and one wife," ~~ Eddie Robinson

I celebrate Robinson's off-field accomplishments as reported in today's Washington Post:


During Robinson's 57-year tenure, the football program helped elevate the school in northern Louisiana from obscurity to national prominence, and the man who regularly corrected his players' grammar on the practice field graduated 80 percent of his players and sent more than 200 to the National Football League. (emphasis mine)


Four Grambling players made their way to the Washington Redskins' roster:
  • Henry Dyer, RB, 1969-70
  • Clifton McNeil, WR, 1971-72
  • Roosevelt Taylor, DB, 1972
  • Doug Williams, QB, 1986-89

________________________________________________

Administrivia
Easter and Passover is upon us. I'm looking for a quiet news on the Redskins front, unless the front office allows Drew Rosenhaus unsupervised access to the owner. The Skins signed depth cornerback David Macklin today. Anything else will be on that scale. So, I'm going to take the weekend for myself, and maybe try out Blogger's new layouts for a new look to Running Redskins.

Changing anything on a computer or web site could be risky. I once worked for the world's largest technology company and learned that I/T projects always took longer than you thought. So, I may not be back online until Monday evening.

Happy Easter. See ya.

No comments: